Domain Registration

Queen Elizabeth is ‘distraught’ over Prince Philip’s health woes, source claims: ‘It’s been a rough few weeks’

  • February 24, 2021

Fox News Flash top entertainment headlines for February 24Video

Fox News Flash top entertainment headlines for February 24

Fox News Flash top entertainment and celebrity headlines are here. Check out what’s clicking today in entertainment.

Queen Elizabeth II is enduring a challenging time during her decades-long reign.

In the month of February alone, it was revealed her grandson Prince Harry and his wife Meghan Markle will not be returning as working members of the British royal family.

 It was also announced that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s sit-down with Oprah Winfrey will air on Sunday, March 7 – the same day as the 94-year-old’s TV address for Commonwealth Day.

In addition, her husband Prince Philip was admitted to London’s King Edward VII’s Hospital a week ago after feeling ill. Buckingham Palace shared that the 99-year-old is being treated for an infection and is not expected to leave the hospital for several days.

PRINCE PHILIP, 99, BEING TREATED FOR AN INFECTION, WON’T LEAVE THE HOSPITAL ‘FOR SEVERAL DAYS’

Queen Elizabeth married Philip on Nov. 20, 1947, at Westminster Abbey in London. 

Queen Elizabeth married Philip on Nov. 20, 1947, at Westminster Abbey in London. 
((Chris Jackson/Pool via AP))

During England’s current coronavirus lockdown, he and the queen had been staying at Windsor Castle, west of London.

“It’s been a rough few weeks for the queen, that’s for sure,” a royal source told Us Weekly on Wednesday. “The situation with Harry and Meghan has been challenging, and on top of that, she’s distraught over her beloved husband’s health setback.”

Philip married the then-Princess Elizabeth in 1947 and is the longest-serving royal consort in British history. He and the queen have four children, eight grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.

“The queen has had some tearful moments mixed with anger and disappointment,” another palace insider alleged to the outlet. “Emotions are definitely running high.”

MEGHAN MARKLE, PRINCE HARRY’S OPRAH SIT-DOWN WILL AIR THE SAME DAY AS QUEEN ELIZABETH’S COMMONWEALTH ADDRESS

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry currently reside in California with their firstborn Archie. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are expecting their second child.

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry currently reside in California with their firstborn Archie. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are expecting their second child.
(Getty)

The source alleged Harry and Markle’s move to the U.S. has been “hard” on the monarch, especially now that the parents of Archie, 1, are expecting their second child.

“The queen has FaceTime calls with Archie, but it’s not the same,” the second insider claimed, alleging Elizabeth is “desperate to give Archie a huge hug.”

Last week, the palace revealed Markle, 39, and Harry, 36, won’t be returning.

“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have confirmed to Her Majesty The Queen that they will not be returning as working members of The Royal Family,” the statement began.

PRINCE WILLIAM IS ‘SAD AND SHOCKED’ BY PRINCE HARRY, MEGHAN MARKLE’S RESPONSE TO QUEEN ELIZABETH: REPORT

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are scheduled for a sit-down with Oprah Winfrey in March.

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are scheduled for a sit-down with Oprah Winfrey in March.
(AP)

“Following conversations with The Duke, The Queen has written confirming that in stepping away from the work of The Royal Family it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service,” the statement continued. “While all are saddened by their decision, The Duke and Duchess remain much loved members of the family.”

The palace said Harry’s appointment as captain-general of the Royal Marines and titles with other military groups would revert to the queen before being distributed to other members of the family.

Harry, who served in the British army for a decade and has a close bond with the military, founded the Invictus Games competition for wounded troops.

The decision came one year after Markle and Harry announced their plan to step back as senior members of the royal family. At the time, they agreed to a 12-month review of the decision.

PRINCE WILLIAM SAYS HIS GRANDFATHER PRINCE PHILIP IS ‘OK’ AND DOCTORS ARE ‘KEEPING AN EYE ON HIM’

In 2020, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced they were taking a step back as senior members of the British royal family.

In 2020, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced they were taking a step back as senior members of the British royal family.
(Reuters)

It was made after the pair held conversations with members of the royal family.

In response, a spokesperson for the couple said in a statement that “as evidenced by their work over the past year, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex remain committed to their duty and service to the U.K. and around the world, and have offered their continued support to the organizations they have represented regardless of official role. We can all live a life of service. Service is universal.”

In their January 2020 announcement of stepping back as senior members, Markle and Harry discussed their intentions of working independently, splitting their time between the United Kingdom and North America.

At the time, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex said their decision came “after many months of reflection and internal discussions.”

MEGHAN MARKLE, PRINCE HARRY WILL NOT BE RETURNING AS WORKING MEMBERS OF THE ROYAL FAMILY, PALACE SAYS

Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex (right) is the youngest son of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip (left).

Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex (right) is the youngest son of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip (left).
(Photo by Anwar Hussein/Getty Images)

As for Philip, his youngest son Prince Edward told Sky News that the patriarch was “a lot better.”

The 56-year-old said, “he’s looking forward to getting out, which is the most positive thing, so we keep our fingers crossed.”

Other members of the royal family have continued their official duties during Philip’s hospitalization.

Philip, also known as the Duke of Edinburgh, retired from public duties in 2017 and rarely appears in public. 

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The first official picture after the announcement of the engagement of Princess Elizabeth and Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten, the former Prince Philip of Greece, at Buckingham Palace. 

The first official picture after the announcement of the engagement of Princess Elizabeth and Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten, the former Prince Philip of Greece, at Buckingham Palace. 
(Photo by Hulton Archive/Getty Images)

Both Philip and Elizabeth, 94, received COVID-19 vaccinations in January.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Article source: https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/queen-elizabeth-prince-philip-meghan-markle-prince-harry-challenges-source

Related News

Search

Find best hotel offers