WASHINGTON – Days after President Donald Trump said he would “absolutely” take a call from Joe Biden to discuss the coronavirus response, the White House has yet to reach out to the former vice president’s campaign, according to a Biden campaign aide.
On Monday afternoon, the president criticized Biden in a tweet, saying “what ever happened to that phone call he told the Fake News he wanted to make to me.”
“Joe Biden wanted the date for the Democrat National Convention moved to a later time period,” Trump tweeted. “Now he wants a “Virtual” Convention, one where he doesn’t have to show up. Gee, I wonder why? Also, what ever happened to that phone call he told the Fake News he wanted to make to me?”
Coronavirus live updates:US deaths surpass 10K as New York offers glimmer of hope
The Biden campaign is reaching out to the White House Monday following the tweet, a Biden aide said. The aide noted the campaign had not heard from the White House about setting up a call earlier.
The White House did not respond to request for comment.
In his own response to Trump’s tweet, Biden tweeted: “Mr. President, I hope we can gather in Milwaukee, but that is going to depend on you stepping up and doing what needs to be done to handle this pandemic. I have laid out how you can do that … Happy to discuss anytime.”
For days, the two officials have said they would be willing to discuss the White House response to coronavirus.
Last week, Kellyanne Conway, a senior adviser to Trump, called Biden’s criticisms to the Trump administration’s response to coronavirus “really disappointing.”
“Why doesn’t Vice President Biden call the White House today and offer some support?” Conway said, dismissing Biden “in his bunker” in Wilmington, Delaware,”just lobbing criticism.”
In response to Conway’s remarks, the Kate Bedingfield, Biden’s deputy communications director, said in a statement last week that the two teams will be in touch to arrange a call.
Contributing: Savannah Behrmann