Villarreal finished one of a UEFA Europa League’s many fast annals in a initial leg of this turn of 16 tie when they became a initial organisation to kick foe regulars Zenit in St Petersburg, a Spanish club’s 3-1 win putting them in a clever position to strech a quarter-finals for a third time.
• Villarreal progressed undefeated from a rarely rival Group G, sketch 4 times and winning twice, latterly with a 2-0 win during home opposite Spartak Moskva that hermetic their gift for a knockout proviso for a fifth unbroken season. They confirmed their dominant run with a 2-1 sum success opposite Sporting CP in a turn of 32 (1-0 away, 1-1 home).
• Zenit hermetic their turn of 32 berth with a compare to spare, 9 of a 11 points that enabled them to tip Group C being purebred during home. They afterwards came behind from a 1-0 first-leg necessity opposite Fenerbahçe to discharge a Turkish bar with a 3-1 home win.
• Zenit’s record run of 23 UEFA Europa League games yet better came to a hindrance in a initial leg as goals from Vicente Iborra, Gerard Moreno and Manu Morlanes gave Villarreal a famous win in St Petersburg, Sardar Azmoun’s third idea in dual European games usually a satisfaction for a hosts.
• Zenit and Villarreal both posted home wins when they were interconnected together in a 2007/08 UEFA Cup turn of 32, yet it was a Russian side who progressed on divided goals (1-0 home, 1-2 away) interjection to a idea in any leg from Pavel Pogrebnyak. Zenit went on to lift a trophy.
• The organisation theatre win opposite Spartak extended Villarreal’s flawless record during home to Russian clubs to 4 wins out of four. That idea by Pogrebnyak is a usually one they have conceded in those games.
• Zenit mislaid their initial 6 UEFA games in Spain yet have won a final two, many recently defeating Real Sociedad 3-1 in San Sebastian on matchday 6 final season. They have mislaid 3 of their 4 two-legged ties opposite Spanish opposition, including UEFA Cup and UEFA Europa League quarter-finals opposite contingent winners Sevilla in 2005/06 and 2014/15; that 2008 better of Villarreal is their usually success.
• Villarreal finished fifth in a 2017/18 Spanish Liga to validate for Europe for a fifth unbroken season, all of them featuring UEFA Europa League organisation theatre coming and unbroken swell to a knockout phase.
• In sum they have done 7 UEFA Europa League organisation appearances and have never finished outward a tip two. They surfaced their territory for usually a third time this term, sketch all 3 divided games and picking adult 7 points during home, where they drew 2-2 with Rangers and impressed Rapid Wien 5-0 before violence Spartak. Their best seasons in a foe were 2010/11 and 2015/16, when they reached a semi-finals.
• Villarreal are in a turn of 16 for a fourth time, and have competent dual times out of three. The victories both came opposite Bayer Leverkusen, in 2010/11 (3-2 away, 2-1 home) and 2015/16 (2-0 home, 0-0 away), a solitary better opposite associate Spanish bar Sevilla in 2014/15 (1-3 home, 1-2 away).
• Villarreal have won usually 5 of their final 13 home fixtures in Europe, losing a same number. Prior to that method they had won 7 in a row, surrender usually one idea – all those games entrance in a 2015/16 UEFA Europa League.
• On any of a 8 occasions that Villarreal have won a initial divided leg of a European tie they have left on to qualify, many recently opposite Sporting in a turn of 32. The one prior time that they won divided in a initial leg 3-1, they went on to better Dutch side NAC Breda 9-2 on sum in a 2019/10 UEFA Europa League play-offs after a second-leg 6-1 win that stays their corner biggest in Europe.
• Fifth in a 2017/18 Russian Premier League, Zenit’s 12th unbroken European debate began in a UEFA Europa League third subordinate round, where they staged an startling second-leg quip opposite Dinamo Minsk in St Petersburg, winning 8-1 after additional time in response to a startle 4-0 first-leg better in Belarus. Their play-off attainment over Molde was also a parsimonious call, a 3-1 home win preceding a 2-1 detriment in Norway.
• Zenit’s third unbroken coming in a UEFA Europa League organisation stage, and fourth in all, confirmed their ideal record of subordinate for a knockout proviso as territory winners – a attainment achieved for a initial time in 2010/11. They degraded Slavia Praha, Bordeaux and København in St Petersburg, all by one-goal margins, and drew 1-1 in both Denmark and France, ceding their dominant record usually on matchday 6 when, already through, they mislaid 2-0 during second-placed Slavia. A double from new Jan signing Sardar Azmoun on his initial start for a bar finished Zenit’s quip success opposite Fenerbahçe in a turn of 32.
• This is a Russian side’s record-equalling fifth coming in a UEFA Europa League turn of 32, tied with Benfica and Valencia. However, they have won usually one of a 4 prior ties – opposite Torino in 2014/15 (2-0 home, 0-1 away). The defeats came opposite FC Twente in 2010/11 (0-3 away, 2-0 home), Basel in 2012/13 (0-2 away, 1-0 home) and Leipzig in 2017/18 (1-2 away, 1-1 home). Their have mislaid all 4 divided fixtures during this stage, scoring usually one goal.
• Zenit’s 1-1 pull during København on matchday one finished a run of 4 unbroken European divided defeats, yet they are still yet a win on a highway in 8 (D2 L6) given that 3-1 attainment during Real Sociedad. In a UEFA Europa League knockout proviso they have played 11 divided fixtures and mislaid ten, a difference a 1-0 win during PSV Eindhoven in a 2014/15 turn of 32. They have never scored some-more than one idea in a divided leg of any prime tie in this competition.
• Zenit have mislaid all 4 of a UEFA ties in that they were beaten in a initial leg during home, many recently going out of a 2013/14 UEFA Champions League turn of 16 to Borussia Dortmund 4-5 on sum notwithstanding a 2-1 second-leg win in Germany.
Links and trivia
• Villarreal’s Daniele Bonera and Zenit’s Claudio Marchisio have both played for Italy and faced any other several times while during AC Milan and Juventus respectively.
• Carlos Bacca was on aim for Sevilla opposite Zenit in both legs of a 2014/15 UEFA Europa League quarter-final, that a Andalusian bar won 4-3 on aggregate; Vicente Iborra was also in a Sevilla side.
• Bacca, who came off a dais to make his 50th UEFA bar foe coming in a initial leg, is a Colombia team-mate of new Zenit signing Wílmar Barrios.
• Zenit’s Argentinian contingent of Emanuel Mammana, Matías Kranevitter and Sebastián Driussi are former River Plate team-mates of Villarreal’s Ramiro Funes Mori.
• Kranevitter has played bar football in Spain, appearing for Atlético Madrid (2015/16) and Sevilla (2016/17, loan) before fasten Zenit.
• Zenit’s 6 goals in a organisation theatre ranked as a lowest series available by any of a 12 territory winners. The usually organisation to validate with fewer goals were their Group C rivals Slavia Praha, who scored four.
• Villarreal are one of 7 teams to have come by a UEFA Europa League organisation theatre undefeated, and are now one of usually 3 to have defended that standing after a turn of 16 initial legs, alongside Chelsea and Eintracht Frankfurt.
• Villarreal have played some-more games than any other bar in a UEFA Europa League, organisation theatre to final (71), and have also scored a many goals (121).
• Zenit are one of 4 clubs participating in a UEFA Europa League turn of 16 for a second unbroken season, alongside Dynamo Kyiv, Arsenal and Salzburg.
• Villarreal’s record in dual UEFA chastisement shoot-outs is W2 L0:
4-3 v Torino, 2002 UEFA Intertoto Cup third round
3-1 v Atlético Madrid, 2004 UEFA Intertoto Cup final
• Zenit have nonetheless to underline in a UEFA chastisement shoot-out.
• First allocated on 25 Sep 2017, Javier Calleja was backed as Villarreal’s manager on 29 Jan – usually 50 days after being discharged and transposed by Luis García Plaza. He represented a bar as a actor from 1999 to 2006, carrying started out during academy turn with Real Madrid, and returned as a girl manager in 2012/13 after unresolved adult his boots. He was coaching a B team, a position he had hold for usually a few weeks, when he was creatively promoted to a tip job. Villarreal finished fifth in a Liga in his initial deteriorate in charge.
• Sergei Semak took over as Zenit’s conduct manager in May 2018 after an considerable 18-month reign during FC Ufa that led to a club’s initial ever European qualification. The former Russia general midfielder had formerly worked as an partner manager during Zenit after finale his personification career there. His rise years on a margin came during CSKA Moskva, where he skippered a bar to Russian joining and crater triumphs, yet he left for Paris Saint-Germain mid by a 2004/05 deteriorate in that a Moscow bar won a UEFA Cup.
Article source: https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2019/matches/round=2000992/match=2026916/prematch/background/index.html?rss=2593660+Villarreal+v+Zenit+background