Two late breakaway goals in a initial leg have put Valencia in control of this all-Spanish UEFA Europa League quarter-final opposite internal rivals Villarreal, giving them a 3-1 lead to strengthen in front of their possess fans during Mestalla.
• Valencia’s autumn debate was in a UEFA Champions League, where they finished third behind Juventus and Manchester United in Group H (W2 D2 L2). They eased past Celtic, 3-0 over a dual legs, in a UEFA Europa League turn of 32 though indispensable a thespian added-time equaliser divided to Krasnodar in a turn of 16 second leg to discharge a Russian side 3-2 on aggregate.
• Undefeated until a home diversion opposite Valencia, Villarreal drew 4 times and won twice in commanding Group G as they cumulative a knockout proviso berth for a fifth unbroken season. They available a 2-1 sum success opposite Sporting CP in a turn of 32 (1-0 away, 1-1 home) before winning both turn of 16 encounters opposite Zenit (3-1 away, 2-1 home).
• Valencia took a lead after 6 mins in a initial leg when Gonçalo Guedes, a goalscoring favourite in a turn of 16 during Krasnodar, converted a miscarry after Andrés Fernández had saved Daniel Parejo’s penalty. Santi Cazorla leveled from a mark before a interval, before dual late Valencia counterattacks delivered goals from Daniel Wass and Guedes.
• The teams have been interconnected together once formerly in UEFA competition, Valencia overcoming Villarreal 1-0 on sum (0-0 away, 1-0 home) in a semi-finals of a 2003/04 UEFA Cup, that they went on to win. That was Villarreal’s entrance deteriorate in vital European competition.
• The clubs have met 38 times in a Spanish Liga. Villarreal have a corner with 16 wins to Valencia’s 14.
• Valencia have played 18 UEFA matches opposite associate Liga clubs, including a 2000 UEFA Champions League final opposite Real Madrid, that they mislaid 3-0 during a Stade de France. Their home record in such fixtures is W6 D1 L1. They won their initial 3 two-legged ties opposite Spanish antithesis though have mislaid their final 4 – all in a UEFA Europa League.
• Valencia’s 4 before UEFA Europa League campaigns have therefore all come to a hindrance opposite Spanish opposition, with rejecting by Atlético Madrid in a 2009/10 quarter-finals and 2011/12 semi-finals, Sevilla in a 2013/14 semi-finals and Athletic Club in a 2015/16 turn of 16. Only in a latter box did their conquerors not go on to lift a trophy.
• Villarreal have won usually one of 9 UEFA fixtures opposite associate Spanish antithesis and usually one of 4 knockout ties, their 2-0 first-leg feat opposite Atlético Madrid in a 2004 UEFA Intertoto Cup final preceding a better by a same measure in Madrid and a chastisement shoot-out success. Their many new European rendezvous with a Spanish bar before to this tie brought home and divided defeats by contingent winners Sevilla in a 2014/15 UEFA Europa League turn of 16, a detriment in Seville their third in period opposite Spanish hosts in Europe.
• Fourth in a Spanish Liga in 2017/18, Valencia competent for an 11th UEFA Champions League organisation theatre debate after dual uninterrupted seasons though European football. Runners-up in that foe in both 1999/2000 and 2000/01, they carried a UEFA Cup in 2004.
• Valencia mislaid twice though scoring opposite Juventus in a autumn though took 4 points off both Manchester United and Young Boys, violence any during home and sketch away. Celtic were subsequently brushed aside in a UEFA Europa League turn of 32 (2-0 away, 1-0 home) before surrogate Guedes’s late strike in Russia (1-1), that supplemented a first-leg double by Rodrigo (2-1), knocked out Krasnodar.
• This is a Spanish side’s fourth coming in a UEFA Europa League quarter-finals, and they have won dual of their 3 before ties during this stage, losing to Atlético on divided goals in 2009/10 (2-2 home, 0-0 away) though overcoming AZ Alkmaar in 2011/12 (1-2 away, 4-0 home) and Basel in 2013/14 (0-3 away, 5-0aet home).
• Valencia are undefeated in 10 UEFA Europa League home games, with wins in a final 7 during that they have scored 20 goals and conceded usually three. The final organisation to better them during Mestalla in this foe were Swansea City, who racked adult a 3-0 win on matchday one in 2013/14.
• There have been 16 before UEFA foe ties in that Valencia have led after a initial divided leg and they have competent on any occasion, many recently opposite Celtic in this season’s turn of 32 (2-0 away, 1-0 home). They have never formerly won a initial divided leg 3-1.
• Villarreal finished fifth in a 2017/18 Spanish Liga to validate for Europe for a fifth unbroken season, all of them featuring UEFA Europa League organisation theatre coming and unbroken swell to a knockout phase.
• In sum they have done 7 UEFA Europa League organisation appearances and have never finished outward a tip two. They surfaced their territory for usually a third time this term, sketch all 3 divided games – 3-3 during Spartak Moskva and 0-0 during Rapid Wien and Rangers – before winning both knockout games in Lisbon and St Petersburg.
• Villarreal are in a quarter-finals for a third time, and have won any of a before dual ties during this juncture, overcoming Twente 8-2 on sum in 2010/11 (5-1 home, 3-1 away) and Sparta Praha 6-3 altogether in 2015/16 (2-1 home, 4-2 away). The better in a initial leg therefore finished their ideal record in UEFA Europa League quarter-final matches.
• Villarreal have mislaid usually one of their final 13 UEFA Europa League divided matches (W5 D7) – opposite Lyon in final season’s turn of 32 (1-3). Their divided record altogether in a competition’s knockout proviso is W7 D3 L5.
• In 6 attempts Villarreal have never managed to overturn a first-leg home necessity in a UEFA tie. The one before arise that they were beaten 3-1 during home in a initial leg was that 2014/15 UEFA Europa League turn of 16 tie opposite Sevilla (1-2 home).
Links and trivia
• Valencia manager Marcelino was in assign of Villarreal between 2013 and 2016.
• Víctor Ruiz done 59 Liga appearances for Valencia between 2011 and 2014 before withdrawal to join Villarreal. The defender done his 50th UEFA Europa League appearance, organisation theatre to final, in a initial leg.
• Russian general Denis Cheryshev is on loan during Valencia from Villarreal, for whom he has done 61 Liga appearances, scoring 6 times, during dual spells.
• Valencia defender Gabriel Paulista done 37 joining appearances for Villarreal from 2013 to 2015.
• Valencia contingent José Gayà, Daniel Parejo and Rodrigo have all played for Spain in 2018/19 – as has Villarreal’s Pablo Fornals.
• While Villarreal’s dominant run in this season’s UEFA Europa League finished during 10 matches with their first-leg loss, Valencia sojourn undefeated in their 5 UEFA Europa League matches.
• Villarreal have played some-more games than any other bar in a UEFA Europa League, organisation theatre to final (73), and have also scored a many goals (124).
• Valencia are one of 4 former winners of a prize in this season’s quarter-finals, along with Chelsea, Napoli and Eintracht Frankfurt.
• Valencia’s record in 4 UEFA chastisement shoot-outs is W2 L2:
5-4 v Arsenal, 1979/80 European Cup Winners’ Cup final
4-5 v Bayern München, 2000/01 UEFA Champions League final
5-4 v Celtic, 2001/02 UEFA Cup third round
3-4 v Steaua Bucureşti, 2004/05 UEFA Cup turn of 32
• Villarreal’s record in dual UEFA chastisement shoot-outs is W2 L0:
4-3 v Torino, 2002 UEFA Intertoto Cup third round
3-1 v Atlético Madrid, 2004 UEFA Intertoto Cup final
• Marcelino’s career as a midfielder, that enclosed representing Spain during girl and Under-21 level, was curtailed during a age of 28 by injury. As a coach, he worked his approach adult a Spanish leagues, stints with Zaragoza, Real Racing Club and Sevilla preceding an considerable three-and-a-half-year spell during Villarreal, whom he guided to promotion, 3 unbroken top-six Liga finishes and a 2015/16 UEFA Europa League semi-finals. He was allocated by Valencia in May 2017.
• First allocated on 25 Sep 2017, Javier Calleja was backed as Villarreal’s manager on 29 Jan – usually 50 days after being discharged and transposed by Luis García Plaza. He represented a bar as a actor from 1999 to 2006, carrying started out during academy turn with Real Madrid, and returned as a girl manager in 2012/13 after unresolved adult his boots. He was coaching a B team, a position he had hold for usually a few weeks, when he was creatively promoted to a tip job. Villarreal finished fifth in a Liga in his initial deteriorate in charge.
Article source: https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2019/matches/round=2000993/match=2026922/prematch/background/index.html?rss=2596429+Valencia+v+Villarreal+background