Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb pointed to the “massive piece of property” that is the Indianapolis Motor Speedway when asked Wednesday whether he’s worried about the Indy 500 going forward on Aug. 23.
The question came after Indiana State Health Commissioner Dr. Box announced that the Indiana State Fairgrounds canceled its summer fun park due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. Indiana has seen an uptick in its positivity rate and hospitalizations related to COVID-19.
“I want to make it very clear that the leadership for the fairgrounds and for this particular amusement group had an excellent plan in place, and they really worked with us in consultation and worked to make the decision that they thought was in the best interests of Hoosiers…” Box said.
She went on to say that the Indy 500 organizers are “working very, very hard” to make the race safe for visitors and drivers, and that they’re taking data and fan interest into account.
IMS announced last week that its goal is to accommodate at least 50% of a ticket holder’s original ticket quantities in or near their current seating location.
“It is an outdoor venue so that does make me feel a lot better about the situation,” Box said. “And they do have a lot of great things in place to try to protect Hoosiers and our visitors to our state.”
firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow her on Twitter: @edepompei.