FILE – In this Thursday, Nov. 9, 2017 file photo, Dimitris Koufodinas smiles as he leaves Korydallos prison in western Athens. A Greek far-left extremist serving 11 life terms for a string of murders is vowing to continue “until the end” with a hunger strike after judges rejected his bid for new leave from prison. A lawyer representing Koufodinas, chief hit man for the November 17 group that killed 23 people from 1975-2000, says her client will also refuse medical assistance. (Yannis Kotsiaris/InTime News via AP, file)
Red paint is seen on the wall of the Parliament building as Greek Presidential Guards, changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown Soldier in Athens, Tuesday, May 21, 2019. A group of about 10 people threw red paint at parliament and set off a smoke bomb as Greece’s Supreme Court is hearing an appeal against the denial of a temporary leave of absence from prison of a hunger striking extremist serving multiple life sentences for the killings of 11 people by the country’s deadliest far-left group. (AP Photo/Thanassis Stavrakis)
ATHENS, Greece – A lawyer for a Greek far-left extremist jailed for 11 murders says Greece’s supreme court has ordered lower judges to reconsider his request for a temporary leave from prison, which had earlier been rejected.
Dimitris Koufodinas is serving 11 life terms for his role as the main hit man for the November 17 group, which killed 23 people between 1975-2000.
The 61-year-old is in intensive care due to the effects of a hunger strike he launched May 2 to protest the rejection of his furlough bid — which has sparked a violent arson and vandalism campaign by far-left sympathizers.
Lawyer Ioanna Kourtovik said Thursday the supreme court agreed to have Koufodinas’ demand re-examined by a panel of judges in the central town of Volos, where Koufodinas’ prison is.
Article source: https://www.foxnews.com/world/hunger-striking-greek-extremist-wins-new-hope-of-jail-leave