Chelsea and Arsenal make a tour easterly from London to Baku’s Olympic Stadium, where they have both formerly won opposite internal champions Qarabağ, to foe a initial vital European bar foe final between dual English clubs in 11 years, and usually a third in UEFA history.
• It is a third UEFA Europa League final between clubs from a same nation, a initial carrying brought Portugal’s Porto a 1-0 win in Dublin opposite Braga in 2011 before Atlético Madrid degraded Athletic Club 3-0 in an all-Spanish confront in Bucharest 12 months later.
• Chelsea are dominant in their 14 UEFA Europa League matches this reign (W11 D3). They dominated Group L in a autumn before expelling Malmö, Dynamo Kyiv, Slavia Praha and, on penalties, Eintracht Frankfurt to strech a final.
• Arsenal arrive in Azerbaijan on a five-match winning run in a competition. They cruised by to a knockout proviso from Group E, dropping usually dual points and subordinate with dual games to spare, nonetheless they had a shock in both a turn of 32 and turn of 16 opposite BATE Borisov and Rennes respectively before winning home and divided in both a quarter-final opposite Napoli and a semi-final opposite Valencia.
• While Chelsea have already cumulative a berth in a 2019/20 UEFA Champions League organisation theatre by finishing third in a Premier League, Arsenal’s fifth-place finish means they will validate for subsequent season’s UEFA Champions League usually with feat in Baku.
• While a London rivals are informed domestic opponents, they have been interconnected together usually once before in UEFA competition. Chelsea got a improved of Arsenal in a 2003/04 UEFA Champions League quarter-finals when they followed adult a 1-1 pull during Stamford Bridge with a 2-1 quip win during Highbury, left-back Wayne Bridge distinguished a wilful idea for Claudio Ranieri’s side 3 mins from time.
• Although Chelsea were degraded on penalties by Manchester United in that many new all-English final, a 2008 UEFA Champions League showpiece in Moscow (after a 1-1 draw), their altogether UEFA foe record opposite associate English antithesis has yielded usually 4 defeats in 17 encounters. Two of those came in their many new tie, when they mislaid home (0-1) and divided (1-2) to Manchester United in a 2010/11 UEFA Champions League quarter-finals.
• Arsenal have never won a UEFA foe compare opposite another English bar in 6 attempts (D2 L4), their final 3 all finale in better – during Liverpool in a second leg of their 2007/08 UEFA Champions League quarter-final (2-4) and in both legs of a following season’s semi-final opposite Manchester United (0-1 away, 1-3 home).
• In a UEFA Europa League organisation theatre for a initial time this season, Chelsea eased by to a knockout phase, doing a double over PAOK (1-0 away, 4-0 home) and BATE Borisov (3-1 home, 1-0 away) before Vidi, who had mislaid 1-0 during Stamford Bridge, denied them a purify brush with a 2-2 pull in Budapest on matchday six.
• In a turn of 32, a Blues degraded Malmö divided (2-1) and during home (3-0) before unconditional aside Dynamo Kyiv (3-0 home, 5-0 away). They afterwards done it 6 wins in a quarrel opposite Slavia Praha in a quarter-finals (1-0 away, 4-3 home) before Frankfurt took them all a approach to penalties in a final 4 (1-1 away, 1-1 home), Eden Hazard converting a wilful mark flog during Stamford Bridge.
• This is Chelsea’s second coming in a UEFA Europa League final, their first in 2013 carrying brought a 2-1 feat over Benfica in Amsterdam interjection to Branislav Ivanović’s added-time winner. That was a club’s usually prior UEFA Europa League participation.
• Chelsea are now a record 17 games dominant in a UEFA Europa League, including a final 3 matches of that winning 2013 campaign, with 14 wins in those matches.
• The west Londoners are a top-scoring organisation in this season’s foe with 32 goals, 5 brief of a UEFA Europa League record set by Porto in 2010/11.
• UEFA Champions League ever-presents for 19 unbroken seasons until final term, Arsenal reached a UEFA Europa League semi-finals during a initial attempt, going out to contingent winners Atlético.
• This deteriorate they breezed by their group, an opening 4-2 win during home to Vorskla Poltava preceding 4 wins and a pull in that they conceded no serve goals. The initial of those games was in a Baku Olympic Stadium, where they degraded home side Qarabağ 3-0 with Sokratis Papastathopoulos and Matteo Guendouzi both scoring their initial goals for a club.
• That foe record-equalling run of 5 purify sheets finished during BATE, where they mislaid 1-0 before recuperating to win 3-0 during home. It was a identical quip story in a turn of 16, a 3-1 better during Rennes preceding another 3-0 home victory, before a 1-0 win during Napoli supplemented a first-leg 2-0 home win. Valencia were afterwards overcome 7-3 on total in a semi-final (3-1 home, 4-2 away), strikers Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (four) and Alexandre Lacazette (three) pity a goals between them.
• Arsenal have never formerly featured in a UEFA Europa League final, nonetheless they did strech a final of a UEFA Cup in 1999/2000 that they mislaid 4-1 on penalties to Galatasaray after a 0-0 pull in Copenhagen.
• The Gunners are now on their longest winning strain in a UEFA Europa League – 5 matches – carrying never formerly managed some-more than 3 victories in a row.
Previous UEFA finals
Chelsea (W5 L3)
1970/71 European Cup Winners’ Cup replay 2-1 v Real Madrid (after 1-1 draw)
1997/98 UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup 1-0 v Stuttgart
1998 UEFA Super Cup 1-0 v Real Madrid
2007/08 UEFA Champions League 1-1 v Manchester United (5-6 on penalties)
2011/12 UEFA Champions League 1-1 v Bayern München (4-3 on penalties)
2012 UEFA Super Cup 1-4 v Atlético Madrid
2012/13 UEFA Europa League 2-1 v Benfica
2013 UEFA Super Cup 2-2 v Bayern München (4-5 on penalties)
Arsenal (W1 L5)
1979/80 European Cup Winners’ Cup 0-0 v Valencia (4-5 on penalties)
1993/94 UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup 1-0 v Parma
1994 UEFA Super Cup 0-2 agg v AC Milan (0-0 h, 0-2 a)
1994/95 UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup 1-2 v Zaragoza
1999/00 UEFA Cup 0-0 v Galatasaray (1-4 on penalties)
2005/06 UEFA Champions League 1-2 v Barcelona
• This is a tenth UEFA Europa League final. The prior 9 have yielded 24 goals during an normal of 2.667 per game. The biggest winning domain is 3-0, achieved twice by Atlético Madrid, opposite Athletic Club (2012) and Marseille (2018). The final with a many goals was Sevilla’s 3-2 feat over Dnipro in 2015.
• Arsenal trainer Unai Emery was a manager of Sevilla in all 3 of their unbroken UEFA Europa League triumphs from 2013/14 to 2015/16.
• Atlético and Sevilla have both won all 3 of a UEFA Europa League finals in that they have participated, pity a record series of victories.
• There have been 4 prior UEFA Europa League finalists from England, many recently Manchester United, who carried a prize after a 2-0 win opposite Ajax in 2017. Chelsea are a initial of those 4 to seem for a second time.
• Arsenal are a 14th opposite bar to have reached a UEFA Europa League final – and would be a sixth to win a competition.
• There has never been a sending-off in a UEFA Europa League final.
• Only one chastisement has been awarded in a UEFA Europa League final. It was successfully converted by Óscar Cardozo for Benfica opposite Chelsea in 2013.
• The usually prior UEFA Europa League final motionless by a chastisement shoot-out was in 2014, when Sevilla degraded Benfica 4-2 on mark kicks after a 0-0 pull in Turin.
• Five players have scored twice in a tie – Diego Forlán (Atlético) in 2010, Radamel Falcao (Atlético) in 2012, Carlos Bacca (Sevilla) in 2015, Coke (Sevilla) in 2016 and Antoine Griezmann (Atlético) in 2018; there has nonetheless to be a hat-trick.
• Falcao is a usually actor to have scored in dual UEFA Europa League finals; he also got Porto’s leader in 2011.
• The youngest actor to have competed on a winning side in a UEFA Europa League final is Manchester United’s Marcus Rashford (2017) during 19 years 206 days; a oldest is Chelsea’s Frank Lampard (2013) during 34 years 329 days.
• Should Chelsea win a final, Maurizio Sarri will be a UEFA Europa League’s oldest winning manager during 60 years 139 days, eclipsing José Mourinho, who was aged 54 years 118 days when he led Manchester United to feat in 2017. It will also be a initial vital prize of a Italian coach’s career.
Links and trivia
• Arsenal goalkeeper Petr Čech, who will be timid after a final, assimilated a Gunners from Chelsea in 2015 after 11 years with a west London bar during that he won 13 vital trophies.
• Čech was a UEFA Europa League leader in 2013 alongside César Azpilicueta, Gary Cahill, David Luiz and Eden Hazard. The latter missed a final opposite Benfica by injury.
• Olivier Giroud assimilated Chelsea from Arsenal in Jan 2018 after 5 and a half years with a Gunners, during that he scored 105 goals in 253 appearances in all competitions, and was a three-time FA Cup winner.
• Giroud is a corner tip scorer in this season’s UEFA Europa League, with 10 goals – turn with Luka Jović of Eintracht Frankfurt. Arsenal’s heading marksman in a foe is Aubameyang, a hat-trick scorer final time out during Valencia, with eight.
• Willian has supposing 7 assists in a competition, putting him turn during a tip of a charts with Igor Stasevich of BATE.
• The Brazilian winger scored twice in a Baku Olympic Stadium as Chelsea won 4-0 opposite Qarabağ in final season’s UEFA Champions League organisation stage, Hazard carrying non-stop a scoring from a chastisement spot.
• Arsenal’s Henrikh Mkhitaryan was a UEFA Europa League leader with Manchester United in 2017, scoring in a final opposite Ajax.
• Arsenal midfielder Mesut Özil was a runner-up 10 years ago in a final UEFA Cup final, his Werder Bremen side losing 2-1 to Shakhtar Donetsk in Istanbul. Willian was a member of a jubilant Shakhtar team.
• Chelsea and Arsenal any kick any other during home in this season’s Premier League, a Blues winning 3-2 in August, a Gunners 2-0 in January. The clubs have met 197 times, Arsenal braggadocio 76 wins to Chelsea’s 63.
• Chelsea’s run of 17 UEFA Europa League games but better has eclipsed a foe record of 15 set by Atlético in Oct 2012. No prior UEFA Europa League leader has left by a foe undefeated.
• Chelsea’s record in 5 UEFA chastisement shoot-outs is W2 L3:
1-4 v Liverpool, 2006/07 UEFA Champions League semi-final
5-6 v Manchester United, 2007/08 UEFA Champions League final
4-3 v Bayern München, 2011/12 UEFA Champions League final
4-5 v Bayern München, 2013 UEFA Super Cup
4-3 v Eintracht Frankfurt, 2018/19 UEFA Europa League semi-final
• Arsenal’s record in 4 UEFA chastisement shoot-outs is W2 L2:
4-5 v Valencia, 1979/80 European Cup Winners’ Cup final
3-2 v Sampdoria, 1994/95 UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup semi-final
1-4 v Galatasaray, 1999/2000 UEFA Cup final
7-6 v Roma, 2008/09 UEFA Champions League turn of 16
• Named as a new Chelsea trainer in period to his associate Italian, Antonio Conte, in Jul 2018, Maurizio Sarri is deliberate to be one of Europe’s many on-going coaches. He paid his impost in Italy’s reduce leagues with a crowd of clubs before removing his large mangle during Empoli, whom he directed into Serie A, and afterwards transposed Rafael Benítez during Napoli in 2015. Three seasons in Naples all brought top-three finishes, his interesting side using Juventus tighten for a Scudetto in 2017/18.
• After dual years with Paris Saint-Germain that yielded 7 domestic trophies, Unai Emery was allocated as Arsenal manager in May 2018, replacing a long-serving Arsène Wenger. The Spaniard oversaw Sevilla’s ancestral hat-trick of successes in a UEFA Europa League from 2013/14 to 2015/16, carrying insincere control following a four-year reign during Valencia and a brief army during Spartak Moskva. He has been in assign of some-more UEFA Europa League games than any other coach, this being his 74th.
Article source: https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2019/matches/round=2000995/match=2025487/prematch/background/index.html?rss=2605478+Europa+League+final:+Chelsea+v+Arsenal+facts