Alec Baldwin handed his cellphone over to authorities Friday after a search warrant was issued last month in the investigation of the “Rust” movie set shooting.
The actor’s phone “has been turned over to Suffolk County law enforcement authorities,” said a statement issued to USA TODAY by Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office public information officer Juan Rios. “They will gather information off the phone and provide the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office with the evidence gathered.”
Rios said Santa Fe officials do “not yet have physical possession of the data to be retrieved off the Baldwin phone. This is in process.”
On Thursday, authorities said they had yet to receive Baldwin’s phone, despite the Santa Fe District Attorney’s Office getting involved. The search warrant was issued on Dec. 16.
As Alec Baldwin faces a lawsuit, all eyes are on the gun that killed Halyna Hutchins
Baldwin, the star and a producer of “Rust,” was holding a revolver during film rehearsal when it fired, killing cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and wounding director Joel Souza on the Bonanza Creek Ranch film set near Santa Fe on Oct. 21.
Search warrant issued:Alec Baldwin’s mobile phone sought in ‘Rust’ shooting investigation
According to earlier court documents obtained by USA TODAY, police have been seeking to conduct a “forensic download” of the iPhone that will include text messages, recent call lists, images, videos, calls or other information related to the movie’s production.
Investigators believe there might be information on the phone “material and relevant to the investigation.”
In a December interview with ABC, Baldwin said, “Someone is responsible for what happened, and I can’t say who that is, but I know it’s not me. Honest to God, if I felt that I was responsible, I might have killed myself if I thought I was responsible. And I don’t say that lightly.”