A pulsating initial leg in Lisbon, in that 19-year-old João Félix scored a hat-trick to enthuse Benfica to a 4-2 win over an Eintracht Frankfurt side reduced to 10 organisation after 20 minutes, has set adult an intriguing lapse confront in executive Germany.
• It has been an substantial debate so distant for Eintracht, who were undefeated until that first-leg detriment in Lisbon. They surfaced Group H with limit points, winning home and divided opposite Lazio, Apollon Limassol and 2017/18 runners-up Marseille, before knockout proviso successes opposite Shakhtar Donetsk and Internazionale, both of whom, like Benfica, had separated in mid-season from a UEFA Champions League.
• Benfica crossed over to a UEFA Europa League in a winter carrying finished third in their UEFA Champions League group, behind Bayern München and Ajax, with 7 points. They overcame another autumn UEFA Champions League participant, Galatasaray, in a turn of 32 before expelling Croatian champions Dinamo Zagreb after additional time in a turn of 16.
• The initial UEFA confront between a clubs valid rarely eventful. Eintracht defender Evan N’Dicka was sent off in surrender a 21st-minute chastisement with that Félix non-stop a scoring, and nonetheless Luka Jović equalised with his eighth idea of a competition, a second from Félix – who had never formerly found a net in Europe – done it 2-1 during half-time. Two serve goals shortly after a interval, from Rúben Dias and Félix again, put Benfica in authority usually for Eintracht’s Portuguese substitute, Gonçalo Paciência, to give a German side a foothold behind in a tie.
• Eintracht have been interconnected with Portuguese opponents in UEFA foe usually once before – and it finished their usually before UEFA Europa League debate as they were separated on divided goals by Porto in a 2013/14 turn of 32 (2-2 away, 3-3 home).
• Benfica have immeasurable knowledge opposite German opposition, their 47 UEFA matches carrying yielded 14 wins, 14 draws and 19 defeats. They have won usually dual of their 24 matches in Germany, yet both of those were in a knockout proviso of a UEFA Europa League – 2-0 opposite Stuttgart in 2010/11 and 1-0 during Bayer Leverkusen in 2012/13. The many new of a 16 defeats came in this season’s UEFA Champions League organisation theatre when they mislaid 5-1 during Bayern München. They were also beaten on German dirt by PSV Eindhoven in a 1988 European Cup final, losing on penalties after a 0-0 pull in Stuttgart.
• The Lisbon bar have prevailed in all 3 of their before UEFA Europa League knockout proviso ties opposite Bundesliga opponents – all in a turn of 32 opposite Hertha Berlin (2009/10), Stuttgart and Leverkusen, recording victories in a final 5 of those matches.
• A thespian 2017/18 German Cup final feat over Bundesliga champions Bayern München – 3-1 in Berlin – gave Eintracht their initial vital silverware in 30 years and cumulative their initial European debate in five.
• The 1980 UEFA Cup winners non-stop their Group H debate with a 2-1 feat in Marseille and cumulative gift by violence Lazio (4-1 home) and Apollon (2-0 home, 3-2 away), progressing their winning strain opposite Marseille (4-0 home) and Lazio (2-1 away) to finish 9 points transparent of a Italian club. A 2-2 pull during Shakhtar in a initial leg of a turn of 32 finished their winning run though a 4-1 feat in a lapse propelled them for a initial time into a UEFA Europa League final 16, where they kick Inter 1-0 in Milan interjection to an early Jović strike – his seventh idea of a foe – after a goalless initial leg in Frankfurt.
• Eintracht’s usually other European appearance in a past dozen seasons came in 2013/14, when they successfully negotiated a UEFA Europa League play-offs and organisation stage, commanding their territory with 15 points, before going out to Porto in a turn of 32.
• Eintracht’s altogether record in a UEFA Europa League, home and divided and including qualifying, is W15 D4 L2, a solitary better before to a one during Benfica carrying come divided to Maccabi Tel-Aviv (2-4) in Nov 2013. Their home record in a foe is W8 D2, with usually Porto and Inter carrying denied them victory.
• Frankfurt’s total record in two-legged UEFA foe ties after losing a initial leg divided is 7 wins from 11, 3 of them in their 1979/80 UEFA Cup delight when they overcame Dinamo Bucureşti (0-2 away, 3-0 home) and Bayern München (0-2 away, 5-1 home) before an away-goals delight in a final opposite Borussia Mönchengladbach (2-3 away, 1-0 home). They have never formerly mislaid a initial divided leg 4-2.
• Portuguese Liga runners-up in 2017/18 after a club-record 4 unbroken joining titles, Benfica kicked off their European deteriorate in a third subordinate turn of a UEFA Champions League with a 2-1 total win opposite Fenerbahçe before PAOK were degraded in a play-offs (1-1 home, 4-1 away) to send a Lisbon bar into a organisation theatre for a ninth deteriorate in a quarrel – and 14th in all.
• Having finished bottom of their organisation with 0 points in 2017/18, this time turn a Eagles won home and divided opposite AEK Athens to explain third place in Group E, their usually other indicate entrance in a 1-1 pull during home to Ajax. Galatasaray were overcome 2-1 on total in Benfica’s initial UEFA Europa League encounters given a 2014 final, a 2-1 win in Istanbul preceding a 0-0 Lisbon draw, before a 3-0 extra-time home win erased a first-leg 0-1 better during Dinamo Zagreb in a turn of 16.
• Benfica are in a UEFA Europa League quarter-finals for a record fifth time. They mislaid a initial of their before 4 last-eight ties – opposite Liverpool in 2009/10 (2-1 home, 1-4 away) – though have won a final 3 – opposite PSV Eindhoven in 2010/11 (4-1 home, 2-2 away), Newcastle United in 2012/13 (3-1 home, 1-1 away) and AZ Alkmaar in 2013/14 (1-0 away, 2-1 home). Their divided record during this connection of a foe is therefore W1 D2 L1.
• Benfica have been degraded in 11 of their final 22 European fixtures, though a 7 wins and 4 draws have all been this season, during that they have won as many divided games as they have mislaid (three). Their altogether record on a highway in a UEFA Europa League, organisation theatre to final, is W10 D5 L5, a turn of 16 retreat in Zagreb carrying finished a five-game dominant run (W4 D1).
• There have been 57 occasions when Benfica have claimed a home win in a initial leg of a UEFA foe tie, and they have won 48 of them on aggregate, many recently overcoming Fenerbahçe in this season’s UEFA Champions League third subordinate turn (1-0 home, 1-1 away). The final time they unsuccessful to safety their first-leg advantage on a highway was on German soil, opposite Borussia Dortmund in a 2016/17 UEFA Champions League turn of 16 (1-0 home, 0-4 away).
• Although they have never formerly trafficked to a second leg holding a 4-2 lead, Benfica have won a initial leg in Lisbon by a two-goal domain 14 times, losing usually one of those ties – opposite a organisation from a former East German city of Frankfurt (an der Oder), Vorwärts, who won a lapse by a same domain before prevalent on penalties in a 1970/71 European Cup Winners’ Cup second round.
Links and trivia
• Benfica striker Haris Seferović played for Eintracht Frankfurt for 3 seasons, scoring 16 Bundesliga goals, before relocating to Lisbon in 2017.
• Eintracht striker Jović is now in a second deteriorate of a two-year loan from Benfica, carrying assimilated a Portuguese bar from Crvena zvezda in Feb 2016.
• Benfica’s Andrija Živković and Ljubomir Fejsa are Serbia team-mates of Eintracht contingent Jović, Mijat Gaćinović and Filip Kostić.
• Živković and Gaćinović won a FIFA U-20 World Cup together with Serbia in 2015.
• Eintracht’s Portuguese striker Gonçalo Paciência is an ex-Porto actor who also seemed in his homeland on loan for Académica Coimbra, Rio Ave and Vitória Setúbal.
• Benfica goalkeeper Odisseas Vlachodimos was innate in Germany and began his career with hometown bar Stuttgart, creation his comparison entrance opposite Eintracht in Aug 2015 (1-4). Kostić was a team-mate of his during a bar from 2014 to 2016.
• Eintracht’s Gelson Fernandes, a Switzerland team-mate of Seferović, played for Benfica’s city rivals Sporting CP in 2012/13.
• Benfica have played some-more matches in a UEFA Europa League knockout proviso than any other bar (37). They reached a semi-finals in 2011, and unbroken finals in 2013 and 2014 – that they lost, respectively, to Chelsea in Amsterdam (1-2) and Sevilla in Turin (0-0, 2-4 on penalties). In contrast, they have played usually 6 games in a organisation theatre and nothing given 2009/10.
• Eintracht are one of dual clubs appearing in a UEFA Europa League quarter-finals for a initial time, Slavia Praha being a other.
• The German bar are one of 4 former winners of a prize in this season’s quarter-finals, along with Chelsea, Napoli and Valencia.
• Eintracht’s record in one UEFA chastisement shoot-out is W0 L1:
4-5 v Salzburg, 1993/94 UEFA Cup quarter-final
• Benfica’s record in 4 UEFA chastisement shoot-outs is W2 L2:
4-1 v Torpedo Moskva, 1977/78 European Champion Clubs’ Cup initial round
5-6 v PSV Eindhoven, 1987/88 European Champion Clubs’ Cup final
4-1 v PAOK, 1999/2000 UEFA Cup second round
2-4 v Sevilla, 2013/14 UEFA Europa League final
• Austrian manager Adi Hütter was allocated by Eintracht Frankfurt as a inheritor to Bayern München-bound Niko Kovač in May 2018, carrying usually led Young Boys to their initial Swiss joining pretension in 32 years. A midfielder who spent 7 years with Salzburg, he returned to lead a bar to a domestic double in 2014/15 after managerial spells during Altach and Grödig. He afterwards crossed a limit to spend a subsequent 3 seasons in Berne.
• Bruno Lage was allocated as Benfica manager on 14 Jan until a finish of a season, carrying formerly been in assign of a club’s B organisation afterwards served in an halt ability following Rui Vitória’s exclusion progressing that month. On 19 February, he concluded a agreement until 2023. The 42-year-old from Setubal (also José Mourinho’s home town) had never formerly served as a conduct manager in a tip flight, nonetheless he has substantial knowledge in auxiliary roles. He was Benfica’s girl manager from 2004–12 and subsequently worked in English football as a partner to Carlos Carvalhal during Sheffield Wednesday and Swansea.
Article source: https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2019/matches/round=2000993/match=2026923/prematch/background/index.html?rss=2596430+Eintracht+Frankfurt+v+Benfica+background