A 1-0 first-leg win in a Czech Republic has put Chelsea in a clever position in their quarter-final tie opposite Slavia Praha. Should a London bar extend their dominant run in a foe to a record-equalling 15th match, they will be by to a UEFA Europa League semi-finals for a second time.
• Chelsea have won 10 of their 11 matches in this UEFA Europa League campaign, sketch a other. They dominated Group L in a autumn before coasting to a 5-1 total feat over Malmö in a turn of 32 and afterwards strenuous Dynamo Kyiv 8-0 over a dual legs in a turn of 16, Olivier Giroud’s hat-trick assisting them to a 5-0 feat in a Ukrainian collateral after they had won a initial leg 3-0 in west London.
• Slavia done it by a UEFA Europa League organisation theatre for a initial time, finishing runners-up to Zenit in Group C with 10 points. They knocked Genk out of a turn of 32 with a 4-1 second-leg win in Belgium following a 0-0 pull in Prague, afterwards came out on tip of a dramatic, goal-laden turn of 16 tie with Sevilla, a late extra-time strike bringing a 4-3 win in Prague after they had drawn a initial diversion 2-2 in southern Spain.
• The initial leg of this tie, that brought a clubs together for a initial time in UEFA competition, looked set to finish goalless until Chelsea’s Marcos Alonso won a diversion with an 86th-minute header from Willian’s cross.
• Chelsea are now dominant in 7 matches opposite Czech clubs nonetheless they have won usually one of a before 3 during home, sketch their final dual opposite Slavia’s city rivals Sparta Praha – 0-0 in a 2003/04 UEFA Champions League organisation theatre and 1-1 in a 2012/13 UEFA Europa League turn of 32, Eden Hazard scoring a overwhelming added-time equaliser in a Stamford Bridge lapse to take a London bar by to a subsequent turn of a foe they would go on to win.
• Slavia have won usually one of their 10 UEFA fixtures opposite English antithesis and even that feat – 2-1 during home to Leeds in a 1999/2000 UEFA Cup quarter-finals – valid deficient as they had mislaid a initial leg 3-0. Slavia have also mislaid their dual other two-legged ties opposite English clubs, both in a UEFA Cup opposite Tottenham Hotspur. Their heaviest European better was also opposite English antithesis in London – 0-7 divided to Arsenal in a 2007/08 UEFA Champions League organisation stage.
• Chelsea finished fifth in counterclaim of their Premier League pretension final season, and kick Manchester United 1-0 in a FA Cup final to book a initial ever place in a UEFA Europa League organisation stage.
• The London side eased by to a UEFA Europa League knockout phase, doing a double over PAOK (1-0 away, 4-0 home) and BATE Borisov (3-1 home, 1-0 away) before Vidi, who had mislaid 1-0 during Stamford Bridge, denied them a purify brush with a 2-2 pull in Budapest on matchday six. In a turn of 32 they degraded Malmö divided (2-1) and during home (3-0) before unconditional aside Dynamo Kyiv with a third tip winning domain of any UEFA Europa League knockout proviso tie.
• This is Chelsea’s second coming in a UEFA Europa League knockout phase, their first, in 2012/13, carrying resolved with feat in a foe overall. Their highway to that final in Amsterdam, where they degraded Benfica 2-1, incorporated 3 unbroken 3-1 home wins after that 1-1 pull opposite Sparta. They overcame Russian side Rubin Kazan 5-4 on total in a quarter-final.
• Chelsea are now 14 games dominant in a UEFA Europa League, including a final 3 matches of their winning 2013 campaign, a pull during Vidi a usually diversion they did not win. They have nonetheless to humour a home better in this competition, winning all of their final eight, with Sparta still a usually side to repudiate them feat during Stamford Bridge.
• Chelsea have never been separated from UEFA foe after recording an divided first-leg win, winning 11 ties out of 11. The many new was in this season’s turn of 32 when they kick Malmö 2-1 divided and afterwards 3-0 during Stamford Bridge. The final of a 4 ties in that they won a divided initial leg 1-0 was that 2012/13 UEFA Europa League turn of 32 foe opposite Sparta Praha.
• As runners-up to Viktoria Plzeň in a 2017/18 Czech Liga, Slavia warranted a mark in a UEFA Champions League third subordinate round, where better by Dynamo Kyiv (1-1 home, 0-2 away) sent them into a UEFA Europa League organisation stage. They won a Czech Cup final term, defeating Jablonec 3-1 in a final.
• Slavia’s dual before UEFA Europa League organisation theatre campaigns, in 2009/10 and 2017/18, both finished unsuccessfully, yet they done it third time propitious this term, scoring usually 4 goals in their 6 games yet finishing above København and Bordeaux.
• UEFA Cup semi-finalists in 1995/96, Slavia’s many new coming in a quarter-finals of a European foe was that 1999/2000 UEFA Cup tie opposite Leeds.
• The 4-1 delight during Genk is one of usually 3 wins in Slavia’s final 27 European divided fixtures (D10 L14). They have unsuccessful to measure in 3 of their 6 divided games this deteriorate – defeats during Dynamo, Zenit (0-1) and Bordeaux (0-2).
• Slavia have mislaid all 6 UEFA foe ties in that they were degraded during home in a initial leg, including those dual UEFA Cup contests opposite Tottenham (0-1 home, 0-1 divided in a 2006/07 initial round; 1-2 home, 1-1 divided in a 2007/08 turn of 32). Their heaviest home and total retreat was a many new such tie, when they mislaid both legs 0-3 opposite Anderlecht in a 2016/17 UEFA Europa League play-offs.
Links and trivia
• Slavia’s Slovakian general Miroslav Stoch assimilated Chelsea as a teen yet done usually 5 appearances for a club, in 2008/09.
• Tomáš Souček was in a Czech Republic side that mislaid their opening UEFA EURO 2020 qualifier 5-0 to England during Wembley Stadium on 22 March, with Slavia colleagues Milan Škoda and Lukáš Masopust both appearing as substitutes. Chelsea’s Ross Barkley and Callum Hudson-Odoi, creation his general debut, both came off a dais for England.
• Slavia’s total of 4 goals in a organisation theatre was a fewest by any of a 32 competent teams, including a 8 who finished third in their UEFA Champions League group. They had scored 10 in 3 knockout fixtures before to sketch a vacant in a initial leg opposite Chelsea.
• The Czech side are one of dual clubs appearing in a UEFA Europa League quarter-finals for a initial time, Eintracht Frankfurt being a other.
• Chelsea are a usually one of a 8 quarter-finalists who have won a UEFA Europa League before, nonetheless 3 others have carried a prize in a former guise as a UEFA Cup – Eintracht Frankfurt, Napoli and Valencia.
• Giroud’s hat-trick opposite Dynamo Kyiv – on his 50th coming in UEFA bar foe – took his total in this season’s UEFA Europa League to nine, a tip in a competition, one some-more than Luka Jović (Eintracht Frankfurt), Munas Dabbur (Salzburg) and Wissam Ben Yedder (Sevilla).
• Willian’s support in Prague was his seventh of a foe this season, putting him turn during a tip of a charts with Igor Stasevich of separated BATE.
• Chelsea were one of 7 teams to come by a organisation theatre undefeated and are now a usually one to have defended that standing after a quarter-final initial legs. Their run of 14 UEFA Europa League games but better is one bashful of Atlético Madrid’s foe record.
• The west London bar have kept purify sheets in any of their final 4 UEFA Europa League matches. One some-more will equal a foe record hold jointly by Napoli, Salzburg, Arsenal and Villarreal.
• Chelsea’s record in 4 UEFA chastisement shoot-outs is W1 L3:
1-4 v Liverpool, 2006/07 UEFA Champions League semi-final
5-6 v Manchester United, 2007/08 UEFA Champions League final
4-3 v Bayern München, 2011/12 UEFA Champions League final
4-5 v Bayern München, 2013 UEFA Super Cup
• Slavia’s record in dual UEFA chastisement shoot-outs is W2 L0:
5-4 v Schalke, 1998/99 UEFA Cup initial round
4-3 v Žilina, 2007/08 UEFA Champions League second subordinate round
• Named as a new Chelsea trainer in period to his associate Italian, Antonio Conte, in Jul 2018, Maurizio Sarri is widely deliberate to be one of Europe’s many on-going coaches. He paid his impost in Italy’s reduce leagues with a crowd of clubs before removing his large mangle during Empoli, whom he directed into Serie A, and afterwards transposed Rafael Benítez during Napoli in 2015. Three seasons in Naples all brought top-three finishes, his interesting side using Juventus tighten for a Scudetto in 2017/18.
• Heavily shabby by Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp, Jindřich Trpišovský started out as a girl manager during Sparta Praha before impressing with his work during second-division Viktoria Žižkov. He afterwards took over during Slovan Liberec in 2017, heading a bar into a UEFA Europa League organisation theatre dual seasons running. He left Liberec for Slavia in Dec 2017 and won a Czech Cup with a Prague outfit a following spring.
Article source: https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2019/matches/round=2000993/match=2026924/prematch/background/index.html?rss=2596431+Chelsea+v+Slavia+Praha+background